You can set a threshold for the license use of products. A threshold helps you to track whether the current license use for a product exceeds certain limits. If the license use for the product exceeds the threshold, an alarm is triggered on the corresponding vCenter Server system.
You can apply thresholds only to products with use-based licensing models such as per-virtual machine or vRAM. You can set thresholds below or above the purchased license capacity. Thresholds do not enforce license use limits.
NOTE You can set thresholds for the license use of products only for individual vCenter Server systems. You cannot set thresholds for all vCenter Server systems in a Linked Mode group.
1. In the vSphere Client, select Home > Administration > Licensing.
2. Select the Reporting tab.
3. (Optional) If the vCenter Server that you are connected to is part of a Linked Mode group, from the vCenter Server drop-down menu, select the vCenter Server system where you want to set a threshold for the license use of a product.
4. Select the product from the Products Chart pane.
5. Click Edit Threshold in the Product Details pane.
6. Type the value for the threshold.
7. Click OK.
You receive a message that the threshold is successfully set for the relevant product.
The view in the Products Chart refreshes after a few seconds and a bar appears that indicates the threshold value as a percent of the license capacity of the product as shown in above figure
If the license use for the product exceeds the threshold amount, an alarm is triggered on the corresponding vCenter Server, and a notice appears on the Reporting tab of the Licensing page. However, further use of the product is not restricted. NOTE The notifications might take several minutes to appear after a threshold is exceeded.